In 2021, Angelica Bridal opened the doors to our Liverpool Road Curve store in Islington, London. The team at Angelica are incredibly proud of this lovingly created boutique that currently boasts dozens of 5-star reviews on Google. The store features an eclectic collection of gowns made using the best silhouettes, modern luxury fabrics, and an inclusive range of sample sizes from size 16 to 26.
Are you currently searching for the perfect curvy wedding dress to make you feel special on your big day? If so, we’ve put together some answers to common questions that we get from brides-to-be. We hope this helps you in your journey to find the perfect, flattering dress.
What is a plus size wedding dress?
Plus-size bridal dresses are wedding dresses designed specifically for brides who wear larger sizes, typically starting at size 16 in the UK (or 12 in the US) and going up. These dresses are designed to fit and flatter curvy women. They come in a variety of styles and designs to suit different tastes and preferences.
What types of wedding dresses are best suited to plus size brides?
There are many different styles of wedding dress that are flattering to plus size women. Whilst it generally depends on your body shape and personal preference, here are some of the popular styles that we frequently recommend:
- A-line wedding dresses – A-line dresses have a fitted bodice and a skirt that gradually flares out, resembling the shape of the letter “A”. This style is universally flattering and can help balance out wider hips.
- Ballgown wedding dresses – Ballgown style dresses have a fitted bodice and a full, voluminous skirt that falls to the floor. This style can help create an hourglass shape and is ideal for those who want a dramatic, fairytale-inspired look.
- Empire wedding dresses – These types of dresses have a high waistline that sits just below the bust, with a flowing, relaxed skirt that skims over the hips and thighs. This style can help elongate the body and is ideal for those who want a comfortable and relaxed fit.
- Mermaid wedding dresses – Mermaid dresses are fitted through the bodice and hips and flare out at the bottom, creating a dramatic, hourglass silhouette. This style is ideal for those who want to show off their curves and create a statement look.
- Sheath wedding dresses – Sheath wedding dresses are fitted through the entire body, with a straight or slightly flared skirt that falls to the floor. This style can help elongate the body and is ideal for those who want a sleek and elegant look.
These are just a few of the styles of dress that we often recommend at Angelica Bridal Curve. Ultimately, it’s important to choose a dress that makes you feel comfortable, confident, and beautiful on your special day.
Are there any styles of wedding dress that plus size brides should avoid?
It’s important to note that every bride is different and what might not be suitable for one bride may work perfectly for another. However, here are some general tips on wedding dress styles that may not be as flattering for some plus size brides:
- Extremely fitted dresses – Dresses that are extremely fitted or have a lot of boning may not be as comfortable or flattering for some brides, as they can highlight areas that the bride may not want to draw attention to.
- High-necked dresses – Dresses with high necklines may not be as flattering for some plus size brides, as they can create the appearance of a shorter neck and a wider upper body.
- Dresses with a lot of volume – Dresses with a lot of volume, including some types of ballgown dresses with a lot of layers, may not be as flattering for some curvy brides, as they can add extra bulk to the body and make the bride appear larger.
- Short dresses – Short wedding dresses may not be as flattering for some brides, as they can create the appearance of shorter legs and a wider lower body.
Again, it’s important to state that these are just general tips. Every bride is unique and personal style always plays an important role when choosing a dress.
How can I make sure I don’t look frumpy in my wedding dress?
The Angelica Bridal Curve team take great care in helping you to find a wedding dress that is flattering, comfortable, and makes you look fabulous. However, here are some tips for making sure you don’t look frumpy on your special day.
- Making sure you have the right fit – The key to avoiding a frumpy look is to find a dress that fits well and flatters your body shape. Choose a dress that accentuates your best features and fits well in areas where you may feel less confident.
- Choose a style that suits your body shape – Different dress styles work better for different body shapes, so choose a style that flatters your figure. Our Curve team store can help you choose a style if you are not sure which is best suited to your body shape.
- Don’t be afraid to show some skin – You can still look elegant and modest while showing some skin. Consider dresses with illusion necklines, deep V-necklines, or backless designs that can add some interest and sex appeal without being too revealing.
- Choose the right fabric – Certain fabrics can make a dress look frumpy, so choose fabrics that drape nicely and move with your body, such as chiffon or silk. Again, our team can help you select the right fabrics for you.
- Accessorise strategically – Accessories can make or break an outfit, so choose accessories that complement your dress and flatter your body shape. Avoid oversized accessories that can overwhelm your look.
- Get alterations if necessary – Alterations can make a huge difference in how a dress looks and fits. Make sure to schedule fittings and alterations well in advance of your wedding day to ensure a perfect fit.
Who are the best plus size wedding dress designers?
This is a difficult question to answer as there are so many talented designers offering gowns in many different styles. Visit our plus size wedding dress gallery page to view the designers that we currently stock at our Liverpool Road store.
If you are stuck finding a particular style of dress that you like, or you have any further questions relating to our Curve store, please call our friendly bridal shop team on 020 7226 7823 for advice during our opening hours. We’d be delighted to help you!